DescriptionJob holders in this unit group operate machines to drill, bore, grind, cut, mill or otherwise shape metal workpieces.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate method, sequence of operations and machine setting;
- Selects and fixes work-holding devices and appropriate cutting, shaping, grinding and/or forming tools;
- Sets machine controls for rotation speeds, depth of cut and stroke, and adjusts machine table, stops and guides;
- Operates automatic or manual controls to feed tool to workpiece or vice versa and checks accuracy of machining;
- Repositions workpiece, changes tools and resets machine as necessary during production run;
- Instructs operators on the safe and correct method of operation of the machine.