DescriptionWorkers in this unit group install pipe systems and maintain and repair pipes in major utilities, industrial and construction settings and sites.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of piping;
- Measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic piping using hand or machine tools;
- Installs pipes for heating, ventilating, fire prevention, water and similar systems in industrial and construction settings, including oil rigs and terminals, sewerage systems and other mains networks;
- Fits piping into position and joins sections by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or by other methods;
- Tests pipe work for leaks and makes necessary adjustments.